1- Certificate of Residence

It is understood to be the normal residence of a person where same lives for a period of at least 185 days of a civil year, in consequence of his or her professional life or, in a case of a non professional life, in consequence of the bond between the person and the place where he or she lives.

For the purposes of the automobile tax exemption (in the case of importing an automobile to Portugal), it is by law required that a person lives and works abroad for at least 24 consecutive months.

2- Baggage Certificate

All Portuguese citizens who work and reside outside of the European Community for at least the period of one year, when returning to Portugal in a definitive basis, are entitled to import their household effects with exemptions on import duties and Iva exemptions.

Household effects are interpreted as household goods belonging to the person and his or her family, such as:

  • household furniture and household belongings;
  • bicycles and motorbikes (up to 50 cc), trailers, camping caravans, leisure boats and tourism airplanes that do not translate into, either by its nature or by its quantity, any relationship to commercial use;
  • domestic animals and saddle animals;
  • all mechanic portable instruments that are of personal or professional use by its owner;

Rules to be observed:items are not to have benefited from any exemption when purchased and have to be owned for at least a period of six months prior to importation in to Portugal.

Documents to be presented:

  • Proof of residence (when started and when canceled);
  • Proof that household effects are of personal use and ownership for at least six months;
  • List of all household effects to be imported.

3- Certificate for the Importation of an Automobile.

All citizens, of Portuguese nationality, holders of a driver's license, that can prove their status as productive immigrants for at least a period of 24 consecutive months, and that declare their intent to return to Portugal on a definitive basis, may benefit from the IA exemption (automobile tax ) on the importation of their automobiles, provided such automobiles have been of their personal use for at least a period of six months.

Rules to be observed:

  • Citizen to be at least 18 yrs old, of Portuguese nationality and to hold a driver's license;
  • To have worked and resided outside the European Community for at least a period of 24 consecutive months;
  • To own vehicle for a period of at least six months prior to importation;
  • Citizen has to cancel his/her residence from present country of residence.

Documents to be presented:

  • Driver's license and vehicle registration;
  • Proof of residence at said country;
  • Proof of status of immigrant work for a period of at least 24 consecutive months.


We keep these regulations updated but because such regulations are subject to change without notice, we strongly recommend you to consult your local embassy or consulate before you make your move.
# 1 Directory of International Movers is not responsible for any loss resulting from the use of these customs information.



Get Quotes | About Us | Moving Companies | Privacy Statement | Advertise | Contact | Links
copyright 2005 # 1 Directory of International Movers - get quotes from international movers - 14p