What products am I allowed to bring into Spain?

According to the European Commission, travellers may not bring any animal food products into Spain, neither for their own consumption, nor as part or their luggage (including meat, meat products, milk, and dairy products). The only exception is baby powdered milk, sealed in its original package. Any other foods may be brought into Spain, up to a maximum weight of one kilogram.

The traveller is allowed to carry in his or her luggage items for personal or family use, as well as gifts, as long as they are not considered commercial merchandise for their nature or quantity. This will be determined by customs officials at the border checkpoint.

If you are bringing in more than € 6,010.12, you must declare so. At present, anyone older than 18 years of age may carry a maximum of 200 cigarettes, 100 small cigars, 50 cigars, or 250 g of cut tobacco. As for alcohol, you are allowed to bring up to one litre of spirits (alcoholic content 22º), and two litres if alcoholic content is less than 22º. Fragrances are limited to 50 g of perfume, and 250 ml of eau de toilette.

What documentation do I need in order to travel to Spain?

Travelling to Spain is easy. The documents you need vary depending on where you are from.

If you are a citizen of the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein: all you need is your Identification Card, or a valid passport. Minors travelling with their ID card must have a document that shows parental authorisation.

If you are from any of the following countries: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Costa Rica, Croatia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Slovakia, Slovenia, United States, Estonia, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Israel, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Czech Republic, Korea, Romania, San Marino, the Holy See, Singapore, Uruguay, and Venezuela, as well as the Special Chinese Administrative Regions of Macao, and Hong Kong: all you need is a valid passport to enter Spain, where you can stay for a maximum of 90 days.

If you are from any other country, according to the criteria of the EU: you must request a visa at the Spanish Consulate of your country of residence. You will also need a valid passport.

For these cases, the Spanish authorities may ask documents showing where you will stay, confirmation of an organised tour, return air tickets, tourist circuit, or a personal invitation letter. You may also be asked to show proof of having enough financial resources to support yourself during your stay in Spain.

Since conditions may vary, we recommend you contact your local Spanish Consulate or Embassy for more information on these requirements. Here is a list of Spanish Consulates and Embassies in your place of residence.

Are you travelling with your pet?

You should take into account the current rules, which are similar to those of other European countries. If you travel with pets, you will need an international certificate of origin and health.

If your pet is a dog or a cat
Dogs and cats must be vaccinated against rabies. You must show proof of this with the vaccination record and veterinary certificates. Make sure your certificates are valid for the dates of your visit.

If your pet is an endangered species
Then you will not be able to travel with your pet, since Spain has signed international agreements for the protection of endangered species.

Useful to know…
Finally, it is useful to have on hand the emergency veterinary telephone number of the town you are visiting.

Besides meeting the entry requirements for pets, please note that:

  • Muzzles are mandatory in some Autonomous Communities in Spain.
  • The animal should be identified with a microchip or a tattoo.
  • You need to carry them in a pet carriage.
  • Not all accommodations allow pets.
  • Most restaurants do not allow pets.

We recommend you call your accommodation and the transport companies you are using to ask about their pet policy.

What requirements do you have to meet to drive in Spain?

You must be at least 18 years old:
To drive in Spain you must be at least 18 years old. To rent a vehicle, you must be at least 21.

You must have a valid driver's licence:
If you are a citizen of the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein: all you need is your valid driver's licence. If you are other country, you will need an International Driver's Licence.

Do you want to use your car in Spain?

In addition to the requirements mentioned above (What requirements do you have to meet to drive in Spain?), tourists using their own car should be aware that they may be need to show any of the following:

Temporary vehicle registration:
You may request it in customs. This permit has a period of validity of six months.

Vehicle insurance:
If you are from the European Union, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein, from Eastern Europe, or form Albania, Andorra, Bulgaria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Belarus, Switzerland, Estonia, Israel, Iran, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta, Morocco, Moldavia, Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, Tunisia, Turkey, or Ukraine: your car insurance will go by the Green Card System, which is the International Insurance Certificate of Civil Responsibility.

If you are from a country other than the ones mentioned above: You will need to get a Border Insurance (a mandatory temporary insurance for all motor vehicles).

Since conditions may vary, we recommend you contact your local Spanish Consulate or Embassy for more information on these requirements.

Do I need to get any vaccines before travelling to Spain?

You need no vaccines to travel to Spain. Like everywhere else in the world, you are advised to get your anti-tetanus shots if you will be outdoors, or in rural areas. If as an exceptional measure, International Sanitary Regulations demanded any specific vaccinations, you may need to go through a medical check up, or show a medical certificate.

All rights reserved. Turespaña © 2004

Source: Spain.Info

We keep these regulations updated but because such regulations are subject to change without notice, we strongly recommend you to consult your local embassy or consulate before you make your move.
# 1 Directory of International Movers is not responsible for any loss resulting from the use of these customs information.



Get Quotes | About Us | Moving Companies | Privacy Statement | Advertise | Contact | Links
copyright 2005 # 1 Directory of International Movers - get quotes from international movers - 14p